As it Relates to the Early Tombs Family
On July 20, 1851, a group of 22 men and women established a church, following the beliefs of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and named it the Macedonia Church. It was located southeast of Curryville, and southwest of Bowling Green. One of the names on the original charter was Agnes Ann Tombs, a daughter of David L. Tombs, and an early resident of the rural community southwest of Bowling Green. The first building was made of logs. On April 3, 1874, it officially changed its name to the Concord Church. After fire destroyed the original church, a new one was erected on the same site and was dedicated July 4, 1889. Prior to 1954, Mrs. Perry A. Tombs was a leader of a children's organization called the "Little Light Bearers".
In October 2004, a visit by Shirley Tombs Jennings of California, and Bruce Jennings of Oregon, found that the church building had been taken down and a granite plaque had been erected. It stated the following: "DEDICATED TO THE CONCORD C. P. CHURCH, FOUNDED JULY 4, 1889, Presbytery Honored Merger Effective Jan. 1, 1983".
The cemetery, which would hve been direcgtly behind the church, still exists and is well kept with a fence around it. It has many very old tombstones and included in it, is the early TOMBS plot of graves, located nearby and under a very large tree. This cemetery is located on Rd. 482.
The following tombstones of the TOMBS family were located in the cemetery:
S. A. (Samuel Alexander) TOMBS, b. 28-Dec-1828, d.
CHARLES TOMBS, (s/o S.A. & America Tombs), b.
8-May-1868, d. 15-Oct-1885
JAMES S. (Sharp) TOMBS, b. 16-Feb-1825, d. 11-Jan-1902
J.W. (James Wesley) TOMBS, (s/o James S. & Eliz.) b.
13-July-1855, d. 6-Feb-1936
WILLIAM D. (David) TOMBS, (s/o James S. & Eliz.
Tombs), b. Oct-1848, d. 1932
Family tradition says the following graves are in the Concord
Cemetery, although their graves couldn't be found:
This site and all written contents ©
2000-2010, Pike County Genealogical Society